5 Steps in the Engaging Church Process
5 Steps to Engaging an Unreached Unengaged People Group*
in South Sudan
Jumbo Baptist Church in South Sudan. This church is planting churches in the neighbouring villages. Engagement is the process where an American church comes alongside churches like Jombu.
Our work centers on South Sudan and its borderlands. Begin praying about an Unreached People Group to pray for.1. Begin praying about an Unreached People Group to pray for. Begin praying about an Unreached People Group to pray for.1. Begin praying about an Unreached People Group to pray for.
Begin praying about an Unreached People Group to pray for.
Ethnic Map of South Sudan. Click on map for larger view
Priority: Top 5+1 UUPGs to Engage in the Chadan Cluster
As of 12 Dec 2013
1. Nuer (at least 11 sub-tribes: Alor, Ador, Bul, Panaron, Lek, Jikany, Jegai, Adok, Gawaar, Nyong, Luo)
3. Dinka (at least 14 sub-tribes: Malual, Twic, Rek, Agar, Igok, Ciec, Atwot, Aliab, Bor, Nyarweng, Hol, Padeng, Ruweng, Abilang).
4. Latuka (at least 5 sub-tribes: Lokoya, Lolubo, Latuho, Poro, Lopit, Mango, Boya).
5. Balanda (Bor, Bagari) will blend with Fertit
If God is leading your church toward focused prayer on one group, you’ll move forward.
2. Prayerfully adopt a People Group/Region/Village to pray for.
- Attend an IMB-sponsored Base Camp.
- Our South Sudan team will make sure “boots on the ground” research is done on your group. If we discover the group you’re praying for is actually “reached”, we’ll praise God together and help select another group!
We hope churches will move beyond Step 2 but know that focused prayer by God’s people will bear fruit.
3. Become an expert on your People Group
- Internet research
- Find your group in a nearby major city and begin ministry.
- We will help make a “virtual prayer walk” to guide your church’s praying.
- 4. Make a Vision Trip to your People Group.
- Your church will send 2-4 members on a two-week trip to your group.
- We encourage the pastor/or key staff member to be on team.
- Our Engagement Team will assist your team leader in planning and guiding your trip.
- 5. Make a church decision to adopt an Unreached Group.
- Your vision team will report to the church after which an official church decision to adopt a group can/will be made.
Ethnic groups of South Sudan. Many tribes along the borders “bleed over” into neighbouring countries. Click for larger view
Key Engaging Church Terms
People Group-a group of individual, families and clans who share a common language and ethnic identity.
UPG-Unreached People Group-a people group in which the number of evangelical Christians totals less than 2% of the population but evangelism is ongoing.
UUPG-Unreached Unengaged People Group-an unreached people group that no one is engaging or working among these peoples.
Engaging Church- a church takes on the missionary role of responsibility to ensure that a Gospel message is made available to their focus people group.
Want to learn more?
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
H4G Engagement web page
South Sudan Maps